What to Bring

The first question everyone asks is: What should I bring to my tax appointment? There is an extensive list below (which you should read to make sure you maximize your deductions) but the basics are:

  1. Last year’s returns
  2. Social Security Numbers and birth dates of both you and any dependents that you intend to claim
  3. ALL of your W-2s, 1099s, and a list of any other earned income
  4. A list of all your deductions

General Documents:

  • Last year’s tax return (if not prepared by Four15)
  • Social Security numbers and birth dates for children and other dependents

Income Documents:

  • All W-2s from employers
  • Any statements for miscellaneous income from odd jobs, contracts, etc.
  • All interest statements from banks (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividend statements from investment companies (Form 1099-DIV)
  • Statements of any unemployment insurance received (Form 1099-G)
  • Statements of your last year’s state tax refund if you received one
  • Any Schedule K-1 received from a partnership, an estate, or S-corporation
  • Gambling winnings/losses
  • Alimony amounts received/paid
  • Transaction statements for stocks/bonds you sold during the year (Form 1099-B)
    • The purchase price and date of purchase for any stocks you sold during the year
  • Information about any other income you received during the year


  • Mortgage interest statement (Form 1098)
  • Real estate taxes paid
  • Mortgage points paid on a new home, paid by the seller, or on a refinance
  • Amount of interest paid on student loans
  • Record of contributions to any IRA, college savings plan, or Health Savings Account
  • Expenses for classroom supplies (for teachers only)
  • Alimony paid
  • Medical expenses – insurance, physicians, hospitals, prescriptions, co-pays, eye exams/glasses
  • Home improvements done for medical reasons
  • Mileage driven for medical appointments
  • Nursing home expenses where medical treatment is main reason for living at that home
  • Cash contributions to churches and qualified nonprofit organizations
  • Receipts, with the fair market value, of items donated to nonprofit organizations such as Goodwill or Salvation Army
  • Job related expenses for which you were not reimbursed (freelance/1099-MISC ONLY)

Eric was a great find for me – I work in advertising, and he understands all the unique tax requirements, and opportunities, for creative professionals.
—J.Y. Brooklyn